The Food Safety Standards Act 2006 has clearly made separate standards for the Food business organizations so as to meet all the necessary requirements for getting an FSSAI license. This standard varies from business to business. The following chart will demonstrate to you the different types of business and the foundational criteria applicable for FSSAI registration.
Given below is Qualification criteria of food business as indicated by FSSAI for licensing:-
1. Dairy units along with the milk freezing units
It should produce or process 500 – 50,000 liters of milk every day or 2.5 metric tons – 2,500 metric ton of milk solids every year.
2. Vegetable oil processing or vegetable oil production unit 5hat uses the solvent extraction process and refineries including oil expellers. • It must produce up to 2 metric tons.
• Turnover must be above 12 lakhs.
3. Slaughtering units Slaughtering capacity:-
• Large Animals (more than 2 animals – 50 animals per day)
• Small Animal (more than 10 animals – 150 animals per day)
• Poultry birds (more than 50 birds – 1000 birds per day)
4. Meat Processing units Meat Processing capacity must be not more than 500 kg meats in a day or 150 metric ton in a year.
5. All food processors that also includes re-labellers & re-packers Above 100 kg/liter to 2 metric ton Processing capacity in a day.
6. Storage units (under Controlled Atmosphere and Cold Storage) It should have a storing capacity not more than 50,000 Metric Ton.
7. Storage (Cold/Refrigerated) Must have the storing capacity up to 10,000 Metric Tons in a year.
8. Storage (Controlled Atmosphere + Cold) It must have the capacity of up to 1,000 Metric Ton.
9. Wholesalers, It must have a turnover of a maximum of 30 crores.
10. Retailer, He must have revenue up to 20 crores.
11. Distributor, He must have a turnover of up to 20 crores.
12. Supplier, He must have revenue up to 20 crores.
13. Caterer, He must have a turnover of up to 20 crores.
14. Dhaba, boarding house serving food, banquet hall It must have an annual income exceeding 12 lakh.
15. Club/Canteen It should have an annual turnover of more than 12 lakhs.
16. Hotel 3 star & 4 star and below 5 star or even below 3 star. Annual turnover must not be less than 12 lakhs.
17. Restaurant Turnover shall be up to 20 crores.
18. Transporter Must have up to 100 wagons and his turnover must be up to 30 crores.
19. Marketer Turnover must be up to 20 crores
What if I haven’t got FSSAI license?
As per the provisions of the FSSAI 2006 Act, if FSSAI registration is not obtained, following are the penalties for the offenses that have been given in the act:-
Nature of offenses Who shall be punished? Maximum Penalty (₹)
The penalty for selling food which not of good quality. The shopkeeper or 5 lakh.
The persons discussed under Section 31 (2) 25,000.
Fine for selling the sub-standard quality of food. Any seller who stores or sells such food that is not up to the mark. 5 lacs
Penalty for wrongly branded food Any person who manufactures or sells such food product. 3 lacs
Misleading advertisements Anyone giving advertisement and promoting a product that is not up to the FSSAI standards and is misleading people. 10 lacs