In this hyper-competitive business world, the most common problem faced by organizations is the lack of coordination and communication amongst different departments. Due to this, there arises a lot of duplication of efforts, which negatively reflects upon the profit and loss account of the business. The problem becomes more severe when it comes to organizations dealing with the making and delivery of software, where the product needs to be tested for bugs, run several times before making the final delivery. The termed “DevOps”, was coined by Mr. Patric Debois in 2009, who is also known as the Father of DevOps. The term is a conjunction of Development and Operations, which are used in a collaborative way to make a robust agile delivery of software end product.
Need for DevOps
• Un-interrupted software delivery- It is very important for the business house to deliver the end product without any delay in midway. There are times when it is observed that, some firms deliver only half of the signed of the product while the other half still remains in testing. During the final implementation, it is crucial to deliver the signed of agreement in totality, which adds to the impression of the company.
• Much lesser complexity – Using this methodology it is possible to delete unnecessary workflows, which adds to the wastage of time and money. This system puts emphasis on making the process leaner, which means driving the unproductive processes away. However, the system does keep every small important detail, which might be important to the success of the project.
• Quicker problem-solving – With the extensive usage of this tool, organizations are able to identify and address problems at a much faster rate. This allows for timely delivery of the final software, keeping cost escalation at bay.
• Lifting the moral of the team involved- Since this methodology of software delivery, takes away the cumbersome processes, the teams are more productive and happier than ever before. They no longer have to burn the midnight oil before a delivery, which was a common matter before, with the traditional silos of work models.
• Gives more time to innovate, rather fix problems- DevOps is known to empower teams with the power of innovation.
The war between change and stability
People from IT industry know about this age-old conflict between Development department and Operations department. Development people will seek change and innovation; on the other hand, operations look out for stability. So, there are constant tradeoffs between the two and in the process, the delivery of quality software to the end customer gets delayed. This is not always an ego problem between the two, but also there are issues with the tools they use. Therefore, the need of the hour is DevOps tools which create an environment, promoting cross practicality and business task, across departments. DevOps is a software development method which is very popular amongst smart organizations, who stresses more on communication, collaboration, and integration of the developers of software with other IT professionals.
DevOps and its 7 Cs
It is very important to have a system, which believes in people over any other technology or processes. Therefore, DevOps is the right kind of tool, with which organizations can choose the right process of efficient software delivery. The crucial 7 Cs of DevOps, which are a must for agile software delivery, are as follows:
• Continuous Planning
• Continuous development
• Continuous integration
• Continuous deployment
• Continuous testing
• Continuous delivery and monitoring
• Continuous feedback
Also Read about: Doing DevOps, the Right Way
The method of implementation of DevOps
• DevOps uses an advanced assessment and strategy planning method, which identifies the maturity of the current state, processes, and tools in use.
• Prepare the most feasible roadmap, which is in line with the vision of the organization.
• Set performance matrices.
Main foundation and tool stacking of DevOps-
It is very important to have a solid framework, which will setup the standard operating procedures. It will also leverage the existing tool while integrating them with host of open source tools.
It is important to have the capability of smart managed services, which will enhance the skills of people, process, and tools. DevOps is the best way of collaborative management, dealing with software delivery. It helps organizations align their goals rapidly, through automated provisioning, quick scaling of servers, server state mismatch elimination, and deploys real state servers.