The dissatisfied party that wants to file an appeal must have proper and legal reasons/evidence to prove their point through the means of an attorney. The attorney is the game-changer in such cases. To a large extent, the court reviewing and perhaps changing their decision depends on facts provided by the lawyer. Tips for selecting the best criminal appellate attorneys are as follows:
● Experience: The first and the most important quality that any justice seeker would dig for is experience. Out of all the options available, it is prudent to choose the one with the maximum number of practising years as an attorney. It is also a wise step to consider meeting all the attorneys personally so as to analyse each one rationally before coming to a conclusion.
● Checking for references: As a step in choosing the best attorney, it is advisable to look for cases previously handled by him and try meeting all the people involved and monitor the past success rates of cases dealt by him. It is also recommended to ask for recommendations from other lawyers who may not be criminal appeal attorneys themselves.
● Getting to know the beliefs of the attorney: It is important to note the promises made by the appellate attorneys and their firmness to tackle the case. One must not fall in the trap of fake promises and be wise enough to differentiate fake promises from real ones. Getting to know whether the attorney's motive is merely money-making / case winning is crucial reasoning to base the decision on.
● Evaluating the attorney's certifications and specialisations: Weighing out the choices of lawyers in terms of their official certificates and specialisations in the matter concerning the client is a decision based on solid and rational evaluation. The client needs to get a fair idea about the attorney's knowledge in the case concerning him and likewise find out how many similar past cases has the lawyer dealt with.
● Checking for the attorney's fee structure: The client needs to select an attorney that suits his pocket. The fee structure and overall financial burden that would be endured in the entire process needs to be talked out before finalising any attorney itself.