Any custom elearning content development starts with identifying the needs of the client. Many times this need is in the form of a clearly defined set of rules but more often it needs to be derived with analysis and to form the scope of the project. Here are some steps any of the best elearning content development companies undertake to define this scope of work.
1. Create a design document: This is a basic roadmap of the custom elearning content development work where the subject matter expert and the instructional designers lay out the intended path of the course to accomplish a goal. This document should highlight the business needs and define the specific training tools to be used.
2. Define the competency level: The key competency levels of the participants of the custom elearning content development project are defined next as per their awareness, their application of this knowledge and future mastery of the subject.
3. Choose the delivery method: There are many options that any of the Best elearning content development companies engage to deliver the final product. The custom elearning content development can employ a WBT or web based training in case goals are to be measured in a consistent manner, a video based elearning course where the topic can be explained quickly and in an engaging manner especially when the audience is time crunched.
An instructor led training or ILT can be employed when the content is complex and needs detailed instructions like moving parts of a vehicle or a surgery procedure or even a learning portal can be used to package the content into micro modules. And all of these choices are definitely based on the budget, the schedule and the infrastructure.
Once this part is finalised, the custom elearning content development work can progress to the development phase.
4. Define the objectives: The course level objectives are to be identified and developed into lessons. In case the course is divided into units or modules, one should consider creating more than one lesson level objectives to space out the knowledge base.
5. Define and follow a process: To develop any custom elearning content development it is important to follow a process to have minimal or no edits later on in the development phase. Each phase above builds upon the previous one, and taking approvals on each phase is critical. The best elearning content development companies begin with a solid script before moving ahead to a static storyboard which will allow one to see any problems in the script and edit them before starting with the animation work. Any edits done at the animation stage will eat up on production time.
6. Collaboration between teams: The whole process of creating a custom elearning content development is a push and pull between what is deemed extremely essential information and things that are necessary to maintain participant interest. The design document serves as an evergreen document in such cases and needs to be updated regularly. For instance, solutions or concepts can be added to a course later on as support material instead of the main topics.