Incorporation of the cultural references in education is crucial to maintain the belongingness among the multicultural students. Let us see how schooling students can make them culturally relevant across all backgrounds.
Why is it significant to be culturally responsive?
With people migrating across various countries to continents it is of high priority to be culturally relevant for a peaceful existence. Culturally responsive education bridges the gap between various traditional practices through education by including spiritual methods. Being culturally responsive has various benefits such as:
● Rising above the ethnic and racial barriers, communication difficulties are eliminated to explore different beliefs, traditions, and values.
● Development of a positive perspective among individuals in a multicultural society.
What purpose does culturally responsive education achieve?
The teaching ability maintained by teachers in a cross-cultural or multicultural situation is called culturally responsive education. Also known as culturally relevant teaching, it encourages students to connect the course material in the cultural aspects of life. Educating the students through engaging and enriching experiences including the cultural references is recognized as cultural responsive education.
How does culturally responsive pedagogy help a student?
Along with providing a nurturing environment for the student across multicultural backgrounds, the culturally responsive education has a lot of benefits to offer. This pedagogy provides a perfect atmosphere to interact and share various stories, thoughts, beliefs from their own cultures.
● This is an effective way to teach students from all types of ethnic and racial backgrounds.
● Through this education method, kids are found to be excelling academically maintaining cultural integrity.
● Cultural awareness is promoted in the classroom by maintaining the ethnic, cultural and societal diversity.
● The education is imparted respectfully based on the student's needs and requirements.
● Student-student, teacher-student relationships and interactions are improved.
● The cultural and racial discrimination is eliminated.
● Encourages personalized and socio-economical learning
● Teacher empowerment to act as more of a facilitator than as an instructor.
What do a culturally responsive classroom and their management mean?
A classroom atmosphere has to be perfectly balanced for the students to learn and nurture cultural values. A culturally inclusive classroom provides an enriching learning experience that recognizes the students and staff similarly diversity the diversity that exists. Communication and intercultural skills are developed irrelevant to age, gender, religion, socio-economic status, or beliefs. Culturally responsive classroom management will guide us through the maintenance of a perfect atmosphere of a classroom.
A culturally inclusive classroom is managed by the principles as mentioned below:
● Self-identity: Teachers who understand and remain true to their identity will provide the best environment and connect to the students in a comfortable manner.
● Student excellence: With the establishment of a multicultural curriculum and setting high standards with equal access achieves student excellence in the classroom
● Appropriate development: Learning style, teaching styles, culture variation, and various other concepts define the context for developmental appropriateness. The goal is to incorporate a lesson plan that is culturally relevant, challenging and assess the student's cognitive progress.
● Teach the child wholly: Skill development, home-school-community collaboration, learning progress, and empowerment is considered as teaching a child wholly. All the factors have to be included while designing a curriculum that is culturally relevant.
● Student-teacher relationship: The classroom atmosphere and the interactions should build a caring and strong relationship between the students and teachers. Educators must be ready to bond with students and make the students feel the teacher's interest in their success.
● Emotional management: Positive emotions in a classroom leads to interest and enhance the learning of students whereas negative emotions discourage and prevent students from learning. Educators must make it important to create an environment that inculcates and enhances the positive emotional quotient in the class and among the students.
This education renders every student from diverse backgrounds a sense of belongingness in creating equal opportunities through quality education. A unified learning environment is provided for diverse cultural learners.