Ranjit Singh's Collections
Shimla is one of the most popular and beautiful hill stations in the Himalayas in India. This trendy tourist destination is visited by adventure tourists, and people on vacation with family and friends. Many honeymooners choose this hill station as it is a nice place for couples to visit on their honeymoon. Shimla is the capital city of Himachal Pradesh and there are many tourist destinations in the city. The Ridge is a famous destination visited by many tourists every year in Shimla. The following are some of the details about The Ridge:
The Ridge is a very large open space in the center of the city in Shimla. The Ridge has an interesting history. Underneath The Ridge, there are large water tanks that store the water supply for the city. The Ridge which is open space is known for the cultural events and fairs that are held at this location. It is located near the famous Mall Road area of Shimla and this road joins Mall Road at Scandal Point. The Ridge is also located near the famous Lakkar Bazaar in Shimla which is a wooden crafts market. The following are some of the details about The Ridge in Shimla.
Some Useful Details about the Ridge
• There are many famous landmarks at The Ridge for the tourists to visit. These include the famous Christ Church, The State Library, and The Gaiety Heritage Cultural Complex.
• There are no vehicles allowed in this area. This is a great place for tourists to walk around and enjoy the natural beauty of this city. Morning, afternoon and evening are all ideal times to visit and facilities like food stalls and washrooms are available in the area.
• The Ridge is one of the great places to visit in Shimla as there are horse rides for tourists, food vendors, and lovely benches installed for tourists to sit and have a great time at The Ridge.
• The Summer Festival at The Ridge is particularly popular with locals as well as tourists. This Summer Festival takes place in May or June every year and is a colorful and vibrant festival. This festival is held to offer thanks for the harvest of the season.
• There are various music and dance performances at the Summer Festival at The Ridge. There are cultural performances and folk dances performed at this festival and famous Bollywood singers have also been known to perform at this festival.
• Flower shows, talent competitions, games, and recitals are all held at The Ridge as it is the cultural hub of the city. There is also a Miss Summer Festival Pageant held at this festival.
• The Ridge is a beautiful place to visit all year round. It is particularly pretty during the winter months and during Christmas when many times it snows in Shimla for the residents to get a White Christmas.
How to Reach
Shimla is a very accessible hill station even though it is situated in the Western Himalayas. Shimla Airport is situated 14 kilometers from the city and Shimla is connected to other parts of the country through the Kalka- Shimla railway line which is famous for its scenic beauty. Shimla is also accessible to tourists by national highways and roads leading to Shimla. The Ridge is located in the heart of the city where vehicular traffic is banned. There are private vehicles and busses in Shimla but The Ridge is a place where the tourists have to travel a small distance on foot to reach the destination.
Shimla is a beautiful tourist destination and has been historically significant because of its colonial history. There is a vibrant mix of the colonial charm and modern-day culture of Shimla and The Ridge is a great example of this beautiful city.