A Must-Read Guide For Better Social Media Marketing
Social media marketing, or SMM, is a form of internet marketing that involves creating and sharing content on social media networks in order to achieve your marketing and branding goals.
Social media marketing is the technical term for gaining traffic via social networking or media sites. Studies have suggested that 92% of worldwide consumers trust recommendations from family and friends over all other advertising sources. Social media is a general term for a variety of social actions, whilst twitter is designed for users to share updates with a vast audience, Facebook, in contrast, has much more social interactions available, such as joining groups or events. Too often we hear people say “be in the vicinity of your customers”, but in order to do this, you must first have the evidence to confirm where your targeted audience spend the majority of their online time. Social media marketing is not an instant fix it is more of a long-term solution, so spending time doing the adequate research will ensure you make the most of your marketing strategy.
In my quest to discover the best ways for social media marketing and business, I came across the six C’s of social media marketing. These tips for better marketing are:
1. Conduct - due to social networking being such a huge factor in everyday life, you should consider how you represent yourself. Try to act as you would in any other environment, when dealing with social media it is crucial that you offer honesty to your potential customers. This is because in effect they are the advertiser and often will recommend services to others.
2. Conversation – try to be brief but informative, where possible try to give your audience the chance for continued dialogue regarding your product or service. Having this option will put your customers at ease, and build a better relationship between you and your target audience.
3. Content – informative content will keep your audience engaged, if you are sharing opinions or ideas try to keep things fresh, there is too much-duplicated content available at the moment. Creative and unique content will make you stand out for all the right reasons.
4. Context - the online world is fast-paced and changes occur on a daily basis. Sometimes amazing and unique content is not enough so you look to go that extra mile, and this is where context comes in handy. Content + context = maximum brand exposure.
5. Cadence – ensures a better understanding of the real-time data flow, so the correct messages are delivered to the target audience at a preferable time. Helping brands to respond to changes in audience attention much quicker.
6. Crisis – more often than not social media can be the reason behind the start or end of a crisis, peoples nature causes rapid changes in conversations and as such brand must be in a constant state of preparedness. In the same way, as an offline crisis would be managed with a press conference, social media marketing requires a fast response with a variety of multi-media content for the targeted audiences.
Some people have the understanding that social media marketing is not necessary for every business, but I believe there is an opportunity for most businesses to benefit.