Do your dog's needs match what you can offer him?
Most abandonment and euthanasia of dogs for behavioral reasons is the result of a mismatch between the physical, psychological and social needs of the dog and those of the humans who have custody of it.
As one of my students at the shelter recently said, "a good human is not necessarily a good match with a good dog".
This sentence sums up by itself that to have a good match between a dog and a human (s), there must ABSOLUTELY be a deep analysis of the lifestyle of humans who wish to adopt.
Here are the poles around which your analysis should turn:
Your finances. A dog can cost to maintain close to $ 1000 a year. Not counting departure fees (acquisition of a purebred dog registered between $ 1200 and $ 2000 and a purebred or crossbred at $ 250 in a shelter, purchase of a cage $ 200, veterinary vaccination fees, microchipping and sterilization $ 500, various equipment $ 250). * These prices are approximations and may vary from one breed to another, and depending on the size of the animal.
You will absolutely need an amount of money in reserve to pay for medical expenses, pension, obedience classes or to hire a canine educator in case of behavior problems. It will be wise to always have a minimum of $ 1000 in reserve. You would not want to have a GO FUND ME campaign! Be wise and responsible!
2. Your level of physical and social activities. Know that any dog requires at least 3 hours of physical and occupational activities per day! Some other dogs will ask until 7:00! You are not a sports person if you go for a walk every night. It's not even enough for the laziest of dogs. It will also be necessary to occupy it, to train it, to frame it, to recreate it. It is not a trinket!
3. Your time. A dog can’t be left alone more than 8-9 hours a day. Does your schedule allow you to be available to him? Find out about various credible sources about the occupational needs of the breed that interests you. And do not give in to the desire to choose a dog for its look because it could have more than what you can offer!
4. Your living space. The ideal is to live in a house with a large fenced yard. All dogs need space and the outdoors, even the smallest. If you live in a condo, you will have to take out your dog every day and find fun activities in the dailies. Make sure you have green space in your community to bring your dog. It's vital for him!
5. Your grooming abilities. Some dogs have long hair. Some require regular mowing or waxing. Do you have the ability, the time to take care of his complete grooming? Otherwise, you will need a groomer.. trips and fees to be expected ...!
6. Your experience and training in dog behavior. Working and exotic breeds require great skill with the canine dog (border collie, Australian Shepherd, German Shepherd, Jack Russel, Husky, Malamute, Purse, Hunting Dogs, Sheepdogs, Watchdogs etc..). It will therefore be necessary to avoid them if you are a neophyte.
But even with a dog known for its ability to train as the golden retriever, I still advise you to take courses in behavior and dog training with professionals trained in behavioral science.
For a dog cross, learn about his genetics.
7. Your lifestyle. Are you a young parent of 2 young children? Are you a person living alone? Are you a professional for whom the career is the priority? Are you a young adult for whom studies and activities with friends are very important? Is it wise to want a dog?
So be aware that if you can’t match your lifestyle to that of the dog you have chosen, your dog will inevitably express this lack by behavioral problems. And this will most likely result in abandonment or worse euthanasia, if you do not choose the right dog for you or if you do not change your lifestyle according to your dog's needs.
This article written by the behalf of [mydeal.com.au] a biggest online store in Australia. My deal offering you this huge list of dogs cage foods and more, also with all home appliances which is you need most in your daily routine so visit to make a deal also for the best prams and strollers online.