How to work the Moonlight, Debussy?
Identify the changes of keys (at the beginning, the 2 hands are in key of ground, and the left hand navigates between key of ground and key of fa),
- Prepare the tone = find the 5 flat keys to the key (it is in D flat major), and play the range of D flat major with its 5 flat = all the black keys (sib, mib, lab, db, solb): the right hand begins with the 2nd finger, the left hand with the 3rd finger: db, mib, fa, solb, lab, sib, do, db.
- Prepare the rhythm = write (in red, it is more visible) the pulsations (between the right hand reach and the left hand reach):
9/8 encryption = 9 metronome beats in each measure:
- 1 beat for a quaver (or half-sigh)
- 2 beats for a black (or a sigh)
- 3 beats for a dotted black (or a pointed sigh)
- 6 beats for a dotted white (or a dotted half-pause)
- Measures N ° 3, 13, 14, etc: there are duets: 2 eighth notes which are worth 3 (= which have 3 beats of metronome). Duplets are binary times (divided by 2) among ternary times (divided by 3).
- Identify the musical phrases (all 2 measures) separated by a vertical line (clearly visible), and prepare a precise work plan (for example one or 2 or 3 musical phrases per day, according to their difficulty and the available time ) then intensively study each musical phrase, directly hands together (not hands separated because the two hands share the melody), the metronome: first very slowly, then gradually a little faster, and when we arrive at the perfect tempo (about 80 at 100 to the eighth), still repeat the musical phrase until you know it by heart. To do serious work, play at least 10 to 20 times each musical phrase, gradually improving the nuances, phrasing, expressiveness ... before moving on to the ne- When the rhythm is perfectly fine, do not use the metronome anymore, to further perfect the expressiveness by adding "rubato" or slight changes of tempo (the passage of the middle, with sixteenth-notes, is more animate
With a very precise (metronome) and rigorous work (by musical phrases), and a search for musicality and expressiveness, one can reach the musical excellence essential to play this impressionist masterpiece. Click Here for more info:- https://www.freejazzlessons.com/jazz-piano-chords-dominant/