Keeping your computer safe from unknown threats is the best advice that anyone can give you because there are many ways a computer can get compromised. And installing a good antivirus program to your computer is the best way to protect it. Windows comes with preinstalled security measures such as firewalls and security centers. But these programs don’t always protect the system to their full potential. Because at times, there are specific errors that plague these programs.
And today, we will talk about one such error that can occur in any of the windows based computers. The window security center is a default program in the system that checks the updates, internal files, and other things. But when it starts giving error to the security center, you must take care of it as soon as possible.
It is one of the more significant issues in the windows based system, so this shouldn’t go untreated. Let’s look at the error, reasons, and solution to this type of error.
Windows Security Center Service Can’t be Started Error in the System
If you get a flag on the right side of the taskbar for Windows Security alert, then you must take a close look at it and try to resolve it. It might be possible that the flag reads ‘The Security Center Service is turned off’. You try to turn it on but you can’t, so you go online for solutions and landed here.
There can be several reasons for this error in your PC, and here is a list of them
- The Windows Security Center is not configured properly
2 The logon user of the device is not configured correctly.
3. A malware or virus is infecting the system and preventing the service from starting or is disabling the service after it is started.
Follow these methods to solve the security center error in your system.
How to fix Windows Security Center Service Can’t Be Started Error
These methods will work in any of the Windows versions, whether you are using Windows 10, 8, or 7. You should try to solve your error using one of the methods provided below.
Enabling the Security center – As we referred to in the reasons that incorrect configuration of the security center service is the cause of the error. So, you must configure it properly and you can do that by following these steps.
- First, you need to open Run by pressing WIN+R and then type service.msc and hit the enter button.
2. Now, a new service window will pop up, and you have to find the security service from there.
3. Double click on the security service to open its properties, and then you have to go to the General tab.
4. Where you need to locate Startup Type and then set it to Automatic (Delayed Start) from the drop-down menu.
5. And then, click on the Start button located just below the startup type settings and then hit OK to save the settings.
6. Now, you have to restart the computer to check whether the error is resolved or not.
If you are error is not resolved, and error ‘Windows security center service can’t be started’ still occurs, then you have to follow the rest of the procedure.
Let’s look at what else you need to do to resolve this kind of error.
Repair WMI Repository – If the above method did not work, then you can repair the WMI repository and see whether the error is resolved or not.
For that, you need to:
- Open CMD in the administrator mode, and you have to search for cmd and then right-click and select ‘Run as administrator’ option.
2. Then, you have to type ‘winmgmt /verifyrepository’ and hit enter.
3. If it returns ‘WMI repository is consistent’, then it means that this error is not caused by the WMI repository.
4. If it returns ‘WMI repository is inconsistent’, it means that you have to repair the WMI repository.
5. To do so, you need to type in ‘winmgmt /salvagerepository’ and hit the Enter button.
6. Then you’ll see a message of ‘WMI repository is salvaged’, then you can exit the window and restart the computer to see whether the problem is solved or not.
If you still get an error, then you need to follow the next method.
Check for local service
You need to make sure that the security center service is running as a local service. You can do that using these steps:
- First, you need to open Run and then type services.msc in the box and hit enter.
2. Find the Security Center service and double click to open its properties.
3. Then, you have to go the Log on tab and select This Account option and click on the browse button to proceed.
4. Then, you need to type Local Service in the box and click on the OK button, and then you have to confirm your password and then repeat all the steps for a service called Windows Management Instrumentation.
Check all the system files
As we have established that viruses and malware can also cause this type of error, so you need to scan your entire system to make sure that it is clean.
To scan your system, you need to follow these steps:
- Open CMD as an administrator, as we’ve mentioned in the above step.
2. Then, type sfc /scannow and hit the enter button to proceed.
3. This command will scan the entire system for the virus, malware, and faults.
4. Once the process is finished, you have to exit that window and restart the computer to whether the security center error is resolved or not.
Well, these methods can be used to safeguard your PC and resolve the error of the security center in Windows.